The 2021–22 season's end is here and there can only be one Magic World Champion.
32 top players from the past season of competition gather in Las Vegas, Nevada at Magic 30 for Magic World Championship XXVIII! incredible players face off through Dominaria United Draft, Standard and Explorer for $500,000 in prizes and the opportunity to have their likeness featured on a future Magic: The Gathering card.
How Can I Follow the Event?
The Magic World Championship XXVIII broadcasts live, from the arena at Magic 30 in Las Vegas, Nevada October 28–30 on twitch.tv/magic, beginning at 9 a.m. PT (16:00 UTC; 1 a.m. JST) Friday, October 28 and Saturday, October 29. Broadcast on Sunday, October 30 will begin at 10:20 a.m. PT (17:20 UTC; 2:20 a.m. JST 10/31).
For the metagame, decklists, match-by-match updates, player details, live streaming, and so much more, start with the Magic World Championship XXVIII event page. You'll also find additional content and images from the event as they unfold by following @PlayMTG on Twitter. Plus, share your excitement throughout the World Championship weekend across social media with the hashtag #MTGWorlds!
When Will the World Championship Decklists Be Published?
Dominaria United Draft, Standard and Explorer decklists for the tournament will be published on the Magic World Championship XXVIII event page on Friday, October 28 at the beginning of the event at approximately 9 a.m. PT.
But that's not all—three articles arrive ahead of the event to set the stage for decklists:
- October 20: An overview of Standard and Explorer by Frank Karsten, Hall of Famer and Metagame Mentor Columnist
- October 24: Dominaria United Draft, diving into the top end of competitive drafting, by caster and Limited Resources host Marshall Sutcliffe
- October 27: Magic World Championship Metagame Breakdown by Frank Karsten
These articles will be available each day on Magic.gg and the Magic World Championship XXVIII event page.
Friday, October 28: 9 a.m. PST / 16:00. UTC / 1 a.m. JST October 29
- Broadcast ends after Round 8 at the end of Standard Constructed rounds.
Saturday, October 29: 9 a.m. PST / 16:00 UTC / 1 a.m. JST May 22
- Broadcast ends after Round 14 at the end of Explorer Constructed rounds and the Top 4 for the Magic World Championship is announced.
Sunday, October 30: 10:20 a.m. PDT / 17:20 UTC / 2:20 a.m. JST October 31
- Broadcast ends after the Magic World Championship Top 4 is complete and the 2021–22 season Magic World Champion is determined.
You can watch coverage for Magic World Championship XXVIII live each day during the event at Magic.gg and on twitch.tv/magic.
Who Are the Casters?
- Maria Bartholdi: Host
- Mani Davoudi: Host
- Cedric Phillips: Reporter
- Eilidh Lonie: Play-by-Play
- Corey Baumeister: Expert
- Marshall Sutcliffe: Play-by-Play
- Paul Cheon: Expert
Can I Co-Stream the Event?
Following Twitch's Content Sharing Guidelines, you can co-stream the Magic World Championship XXVIII broadcast from twitch.tv/magic using OBS or XSplit. This allows anyone on Twitch to cover the event in their voice and with their community. Co-streamed content is not endorsed by Wizards, and participants in co-streaming should follow Wizards' Fan Content Policy guidelines.
Who Is Playing?
32 players—the reigning Magic World Champion, top-finishing players from across all three Championship events of the 2021–22 season, and the top leaderboard competitors based on 2021–22 season finishes.
How Will the Tournament Play Out?
The Magic World Championship covers three formats across three days of play, beginning with Dominaria United Draft and Standard Constructed, followed by Explorer Constructed then a Top 4 double-elimination playoff featuring Standard Constructed.
Day One, Friday October 28:
- Rounds 1–3: Dominaria United Draft
- Rounds 4–8: Standard Constructed
Day Two, Saturday October 29:
- Rounds 9–14: Explorer Constructed
As players earn their 11th match win, they will automatically advance to the Top 4 playoff. Final standings at the end of Round 14 will determine any remaining Top 4 slots available after all players with 11 wins have advanced—and any ties for a Top 4 slot will be determined by final standings after 14 rounds.
Day Three, Sunday October 30:
- The Top 4 double-elimination playoff will feature Standard Constructed.
- Upper Bracket and Lower Bracket matches will be Best-of-Three games.
- The Title Match will be Best-of-Three matches.
What Do Players Win?
The winner earns the title of Magic World Champion and has the opportunity for their likeness to be featured on a future Magic: The Gathering card.
Additionally, all players also compete for their share of $500,000 in prizes: