Over the past few weeks, we have been monitoring the spread of COVID-19 and closely following the situation and adjusting as recommended by local governments. See how Wizards of the Coast is responding to COVID-19 to learn more.
The health and safety of our fans, players, and employees is our first priority, and as such, we are making significant changes to our season, including changes as of March 20, 2020:
- *New* The MPL and Rivals players of the 2020 Partial Season will now carry over to the 2020-21 season.
- *New* 15 invitations to the Rivals League were made based on Player Points and Mythic Points earned from 2020 Partial Season competition.
- *Updated* Tabletop Players Tour Series 2 events are cancelled.
- Tabletop Qualifiers for Players Tour Series 2 are suspended.
- We've added new ways to qualify for the Players Tour through Magic Online Super Qualifiers.
- CFB Events will continue to assess tabletop MagicFests on a case-by-case basis, closely monitoring local health and government advisories.
- CFB Events has launched MagicFest Online to provide competitive play and Players Tour qualification opportunities through MTG Arena.
- We are adding an online regional Players Tour event option for players who are not able to or choose not to attend an in-person regional Players Tour event.
- We are canceling the Mythic Invitational originally scheduled for May.
- We will be providing travel reimbursements to qualified players with non-refundable, non-transferrable flights to the impacted Players Tour, Players Tour Finals, and Mythic Invitational events. All invited players will receive an email next week with details on how to apply.
For more information on each of these, please use the link above. We are rescheduling several events to later in the year as it gives us the best chance for travel and local restrictions to be lifted and to adequately assess the health and safety of our events. Please understand that this is a developing situation and some details may not be finalized and others may change depending on the recommendations and guidelines of government officials. We will work to finalize all dates and details as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and flexibility as we work through these changes.
CFB Events has announced the cancelation of all MagicFests through mid-May. For up-to-date information on those events, please be sure to follow updates on their website or on Twitter. They will be actively looking to reschedule events for later in the year, and we will be working closely with CFB Events to monitor evolving local health and government policies and advisories for future events.
Players Tour Finals
We are canceling the Players Tour Finals that was to be held in Houston, April 24–26. Any players who were invited to Houston will be invited to the already-scheduled Finals scheduled for Minneapolis, July 9–12. The event will be larger and will award more prize money to accommodate the larger field. We will have more details on this in the coming weeks.
Regional Players Tours
We are moving and rescheduling a number of upcoming Players Tour events.
- The event scheduled for Copenhagen April 30–May 3 has been moved to Prague on May 29–31.
- The event scheduled for Charlotte on May 7–10 has been moved to Seattle, June 5–7.
- We are actively looking for a replacement venue and date for the event scheduled for Kitakyushu, May 8–10. We will have more information soon.
- We are adding an online event option that will take place on Magic: The Gathering Arena June 13–14 for players who are not able to attend one of the in-person events or if we have to cancel any of the above rescheduled events. This event will award Player Points and, in lieu of prize money, will offer travel awards to the Players Tour Finals. There are still a lot of details to work out on this event, but we wanted to make sure to have a digital event for those who may still be unable to travel at that time.
We are canceling the May Mythic Invitational and will not be rescheduling it, and all Mythic Invitational invites for the year will be shifted. Players who qualified for the May Invitational will instead be invited to the Mythic Invitational scheduled for July 23, and anyone invited to the July Invitational will instead be invited to the October Mythic Invitational.
Player Travel Reimbursement
We know event changes are going to have a negative impact on travel plans, and we want to help out as many eligible Players Tour competitors with already booked travel plans as possible. Therefore, we will be providing travel reimbursements to qualified players with non-refundable, non-transferrable flights to previously scheduled Players Tour events if they booked their travel prior to March 12.
You do not have to contact us—all invited players will receive an email next week with information on how to apply for reimbursement and what documentation will be needed.
Magic Online Championship Series
While MOCS typically is held in late spring or early summer, we are holding on scheduling that event for now and will likely be postponing it until later in the year. We will be emailing competitors with more details soon.
We want to emphasize that this is a developing situation and we may need to make additional changes to the schedule or events based on the recommendations of government and health organizations. We hope that in delaying some events and making accommodations for others we can provide safe play experiences where possible and protect the health and wellbeing of our players and employees when that's not possible. We appreciate your flexibility, patience, and understanding as we make changes to best ensure the health and safety of everyone involved in our large events.